Thursday, March 08, 2007

Amidah Prayer


One.
Two.
Three.
Steps away
from stress
from time
from earth.

One.
Two.
Three.
Steps closer
to G-d
to peace
to reality.

This time is mine. It is dedicated to my soul, to express its longing for truth, for G-d. I am able to stop short in the middle of a hectic day, and know that I am intimately connected to a higher source. My eyes can refocus, giving perspective and direction to each action of the day. The prayer infuses me with purpose and with power.

All day I can be involved in mundane matters, but if I dedicate this time strategically, they can all become meaningful. On the other hand, if I fail to tap into the power source, I become sucked into an endless spiral of aspiritual pursuits.

How cunning is the yetzer, which manages time and again to rob me of the full prayer experience; worse yet, to convince me to willingly cast it away.

6 comments:

the dreamer said...

beautiful, as usual.
love the pic.
sorta reminds me of yaakov's dream.

yeah, davenings the time when you all of a sudden remember all the thins you had forgotten to take care of.
:(

smb said...

Beautful message, during davening it's just us and Him

I know what you mean about getting distracted. My problem is that sometimes bad thoughts come to me while praying. But I try to ignore it and keep praying

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Great pic. Beautiful thoughts.

David Melamed said...

It is for this reason I daven with an Artscroll english Siddur. I am not saying i always look at the english, but when I notice I am getting distracted, instead of fighting the invasion of my imagination, I redirect it to the english translations and regain focus.

Your post is like the Mesilas Yesharim's introduction discusses. Some things we know as common sense, but we aren't always conscious of their reality. Sometimes we just need someone to illustrate the concept with words to make us realize, "Oh, Yeah, that's exactly right. Why didn't I think of that."
(well said)

Independent Frum Thinker said...

It's wonderful that you have this appreciation of Tefilah.

Bas~Melech said...

Thanks for the comments, people!